[Elements] Week II: Reputation

Welcome back to week 2 of our Elements Expedition!
This week is all about Reputation

Question:

• Do you care about your “irl” and “Digital” reputations equally? Or do you focus on one more than the other?

• What benefits (for both respective areas) do you think we can realize by unifying reputation across mediums?

• What would this “unification” and “gamification” of reputation measures look like to you?

Check out the Blog Post Here:

7 Likes

Yes, I care about these reputations equally. But I focus more on my digital reputation than irl.

This is partially a function of age, and partially a function of irl-digital divergance from facebook to pseudoanon or anon. For age, I know who my friends are have hard earned reputation at work. More-or-less managing established irl reputation as opposed to forging new frontiers in the digital space.

Time. Analog me and digital me are the same person. Not here to play games with alts, etc. But I spend a lot of time building reptutational goodwill that analog me carries by default.

Update: x.com

I have many wallets for many valid reasons, from opsec to privacy. But only one social and discord. Which these services often link. These services, although an aspect of digital ID, do a horrible job of catering to a single me because i can’t link the same Twitter to multple wallets. Most of this is because these projects launched under bad assumptions of one wallet per user and later fixed but then require you to leave behind your entire history if you want to aggregate and make it a pain in the ass to do so. So i just stopped using them for this and other reasons noted in the tweet.

I think a problem is many inputs:one reputation, assuming folks want a many:one and not many:few or for the sybilorrrs many:many.

I’d probably design for many:few and perhaps link the few to one via zk or other privacy wall.

There’s a select few people that know analog and digital me. Might start there for unification. Or something like gitcoin passport, which lets you verify analog and digital into a trust score.

But that would be a base lego and one can envision even more data points to draw from (steam profile, epic profile, psn, etc. etc.). From there you could gamify it by linking my small cohort of people to attest to various aspects of reputation and assign weighted scoring thereto. Like, yeah, we’re homies at work (linkedin) and play mad squads of pubG (psn) but never cheat or TK. And then maybe you could have different trust profiles built on-top. Like professional cred for sure, but lots of dings in his gamer profile for TKing in cs 1.6 when he was in his late teens many moons ago. With careful thought given towards trust slashing for botted boosts etc.

6 Likes

reputation is the key

1. Balancing “irl” and “Digital” Reputations: Personally, it depends on the context. In professional settings, I may prioritize my digital reputation due to the prevalence of online profiles and networking. In personal relationships, my real-life reputation might take precedence. Striking a balance is crucial, as actions in one realm can often impact the other.
  2. Benefits of Unifying Reputation:
  • Holistic Understanding: Unifying reputations can provide a more comprehensive view of an individual. This could help others understand a person’s character, values, and behavior across different facets of life.
  • Enhanced Trust: Consistency in reputation across mediums builds trust. If someone is known for being reliable in both digital collaborations and real-life commitments, trust in that person is likely to increase.
  • Improved Opportunities: Professionals with a strong and consistent reputation, both online and offline, might have better career prospects and collaboration opportunities.
  1. Unification and Gamification:
  • Unified Profile: A centralized profile that incorporates both digital and real-world achievements, endorsements, and testimonials could serve as a comprehensive reputation hub.
  • Gamification Elements: Introducing gamification elements could make reputation management more engaging. For example, earning badges for completing real-life projects successfully or receiving positive feedback on digital platforms.
  • Quantifiable Metrics: Develop a system that quantifies reputation based on specific criteria, such as project completion, positive interactions, or contributions to a community. This could be displayed as an overall reputation score.
  • Privacy Controls: Since not all aspects of one’s life need to be public, having robust privacy controls would be essential. Users should have the flexibility to choose which elements of their reputation are visible to different audiences.

By unifying and gamifying reputation measures, individuals could have a more nuanced understanding of their strengths and areas for improvement. It could also incentivize positive behavior both online and offline, fostering a culture of trust and collaboration. However, it’s crucial to ensure that such systems are transparent, fair, and respect users’ privacy.

3 Likes
  • “What would this “unification” and “gamification” of reputation measures look like to you?”

I see the most important aspect is that it (reputation) has to be easily accessible, visible and provide clear benefits of improving user life and experience. By improving I mean the end user has to gain money, status, opportunities or other perceived benefits and be aware that it was due to a better reputation in certain areas. Also the community part is important if someone lacks the reputation in certain areas which might be useful for him/her to pursue, it could be possible to see [social-proof] what kind of results other people have had so it proves the action to be worthwhile to take. Of course this [social-proof] has to be offered in a way it doesn’t leak any sensitive information about certain users and protects their privacy.

TLDR: Gamification should be built in a way that the system does NOT end up gathering dust in the degenerate corner of the metaverse after couple weeks. So practicality is key.

1 Like